Unique Software for Network CD/DVD Writing, FTP & Secure Data Publishing
LANwriter is a unique intranet software application for centralized, secure and audited publishing of data to CDs, DVDs, Pen Drives and FTP servers via a single computer on the network that acts as a device server and data gatekeeper. LANwriter takes corporate data management to a new level of security, systematization and sophistication.
If you want to write CDs/DVDs remotely from any machine on your Windows network using just a single DVD Burner…
you need LANwriter.
If you want a central browser-based FTP facility for LAN users, without installing FTP programs on multiple machines…
you need LANwriter.
If you want to catalog, archive and keep track of all data published by your office on CDs/DVDs, Pen Drives and FTP Servers…
you need LANwriter.
With LANwriter you can
- Keep track and strictly control all data that leaves the confines of your office.
- Securely share a single CD/DVD writer on the LAN and write data CDs and DVDs remotely from any machine of your Windows network using just a web browser.
- Securely share a USB/Firewire port on the LAN and write data to removable pen drives attached to it, remotely from any machine of your network using a web browser.
- Provide a secure centralised browser-based FTP facility for all LAN users, without installing FTP client programs on multiple machines.
- Catalog and archive all data that is published for internal circulation or external dispatch by your office as part of its daily operations.
- Search through these catalogs and quickly retrieve old data from the archives for reference and republication at a later date.
How it works
Setup and Configuration Workflow
- Install LANwriter : LANwriter is installed on a suitable workstation or server that has a CD/DVD RW drive and USB/Firewire ports and internet connectivity.
- LANwriter access-URL : Immediately after installation LANwriter becomes available as an intranet application over the LAN at a specific URL of the type http://computer_name/lanwriter/ .
- LANwriter settings : The System Administrator starts his web browser and logs in to LANwriter. He creates user accounts for all users who should be having access to the LANwriter system. He then sets a few configuration parameters like drive letters of CDRW and USB/Firewire removable drives, Data writing limits, login information for FTP sites, etc. He then throws open the system for use and informs everybody about the URL for accessing the LANwriter intranet application.
Usage Workflow / Data Publishing Workflow
The user who has a valid LANwriter user account and who wants to write data to CD or Pen-Drive or publish it to remote FTP servers now adopts the following procedure:
- The user gathers together all data that he wants written/published, into the required folder structure within a single folder on his PC.
- User logs in to the LANwriter system using his web browser.
- User creates a new data writing job entering relevant descriptive information about the job in the job compilation form.
- User then copies the data from his machine to a secure shared folder on LANwriter using windows explorer.
- User finally selects the device to which data is to be written/published. ( CD, Pendrive or FTP server ) and clicks the “Compile” button.
- LANwriter compiles the data publishing job, storing job description and file structure information in the backend database and optionally backing up the entire data to a mirror drive.
- After compilation, if user is a Power User, his job is immediately written to the chosen destination, CD / Pen drive / FTP server. If writing device is already in use, the job is queued and user is prompted to wait or try again later. If user is a Normal User and not a power user then his job is compiled and put in the pending jobs list. It is not immediately written and awaits approval from an “Approver”.
- Approver logs in and visits the pending projects page of the User. Approver uses the links against the job listing and verifies that all data is valid and can be released for publishing. Then approves the job. Only when an “Approver” approves the job will it become available for writing to the chosen destination.
- After the job is approved the normal user goes to his “pending jobs” page and writes the job.
- LANwriter writes the data for the publishing job, storing job description and file structure information in the backend database and optionally backing up the entire data to a mirror drive.
- If the data is mirrored then in future if the same job is to be written again, the user may just search for it in the online data archives, and reuse it as it is. It need not be compiled all over again.
Administration and Maintenance Workflow
Administration can be done remotely via the browser based admin panel interface. Administration tasks fall into 4 categories as follows :
- System configuration : This task involves setting the server parameters like Drive letters, Maximum allowed data writing size for different devices,FTP server accounts information, etc.
This task is done immediately after installation and thereafter only occassionally when systems settings need change.
- User management : This task involves, adding new user accounts to the system, setting their privileges and roles, deleting old and unused accounts. This task is to be done as frequently as required.
- System and Archive Backup : System backup task involves backing up the entire backend database of LANwriter so that in case the database gets corrupted, it can be restored from the latest backup. Archive backup task involves backing up the files from the archive disk drive onto DVD ROMs for offline archival and for freeing up disk space for fresh online archives.
These backup tasks should be done routinely as frequently as demanded by the usage intensity.
- Usage Monitoring / Data Audits – History & Reports checks : This task is done to ensure that users are using the system in a responsible way and there is no violation of data security. The administrator can randomly go through the usage history for certain users, view, from the online archives, the data that has been published by these users and ensure that the content that has been published is well within the user’s scope and rights. This task may be done as frequently as necessary.
- PC with Windows XP Pro, Windows 2003 Server OS or Windows 2008 Server OS
- Microsoft SQL Server
- 512MB RAM
- 20MB Free Disk Space for installation
- Internet connectivity for FTP Uploads and product activation